What Brushwood Center is Doing:
Many of our local healthcare providers are facing a serious shortage of protective face masks in the midst of the COVID-19 outbreak. Local hospitals and nursing homes are seeking handmade mask donations ASAP. As an organization dedicated to wellness that partners with multiple health care organizations throughout Lake County, we are mobilizing our community to meet this need!
Mask Drive Updates:
- We are creating face mask kits, each with enough materials to make ten masks. Most of these materials were sourced through the Brushwood Art Supply Exchange.
- We are accepting donations of good quality cotton fabric ** quilting fabric is ideal **.
- Over 3,000 masks have distributed to Vista Medical Center, Fenix Family Health Center, Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital, Cedar Assisted Living, the Lovell VA, Home Instead Senior Care, Sedgebrook Senior Living Community, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Lovell Transportation Staff, the American Legion, Thresholds in Chicago, the Lake County Housing Authority, the City of North Chicago, Beacon Health, Lake County Haven, Midwest Veterans Closet, and Hope City Church of Milwaukee.
How You Can Help:
If you have basic sewing knowledge, we need you now!
We set up two stations on the Brushwood Center front porch to support our healthcare heroes:
We are currently out of mask-kits, but are hoping to put out more supplies in the next week. Check back here for updates. In the meantime, we will continue accepting and distributing drop-offs as the need for masks continues!
1) MASK-MAKING KITS: Need fabric or supplies? Brushwood Center has assembled a limited quantity of small bags with all the materials you need (except sewing machines!) from our Brushwood Art Supply Exchange (BASE). Each bag has enough materials to produce 10 masks. Simply take a bag, sew the masks, and drop them off in the front porch bin.
2) DROP OFF CENTER: If you have mask-making materials at home (100% cotton fabric, elastic/fabric ties, and sewing equipment), please feel free to use those! Donate your sewn masks on Brushwood Center’s front porch in the donation bin. We already have a mighty team of volunteers who will handle the donation pick-ups and delivery to healthcare centers. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or message us via Facebook when you have dropped off your masks so we can track quantity.
Drop off between sunrise and dusk on the Brushwood Center front porch: 21850 North Riverwoods Road, Riverwoods, IL.
Click here for detailed sewing directions to guide you and ensure consistency across masks
It’s okay if there are small differences between masks. There are many instructional videos available online as well that you can reference.
If you represent an organization that is interested in receiving masks, contact us at email@example.com
This drive is brought to you in partnership with the North Chicago Rotary Club.
Thank you to our incredible volunteers!
Lorra Rudman, Jackie Borchew, Gail Sturm, Bill Sturm, Maureen Riedy, ReCommitted Supplies Co., Barbara Shimberg, Pam Knowles, Linda Franke, Cyndi Peters, Sylvia Bath, Kate Tully, Linda Lutz, Susan Clabby, Jan Rudolf, Cheryl Longhini, Maureen Stapleton Hammond, Jennifer Karr, Holly Kerr, Antra Swenton, Frances Myers, Debby Cencula Emery, Karen Kowalski Beaman, Maj Kowalski, Dina Najera